Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cllr. Kealin Ireland (Green Party)

The residents greatly appreciate Cllr. Kealin Ireland's continued support.

Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: Stop the Monkstown Ring Road !

Hello

I have given the issue of the Monkstown Ring Road considerable thought and have come to the conclusion that it is unnecessary at best and will be severely disruptive or dangerous at worst.

Last week I attended a very detailed presentation given by the Council in relation to the road.


(All councillors were invited to a similar presentation).

Nothing which I heard or saw made me change my view. In fact the information, including maps and statistics, only strengthened my viewpoint; that this road was envisaged during the 70s when the county, infrastructure, its residents and their needs and lifestyles were dramatically different.

I believe that the road will contribute nothing positive to residents' lives and that it could have a very negative and potentially dangerous effect.


It will not reduce traffic congestion in Blackrock, Monkstown or Dun Laoghaire, in Carysfort Ave, Newtownpark Ave or anywhere else - no matter what you have been told and what spin has been put on these issues.

The road and its consequent rat running will in all likelihood add to congestion and the volumes of traffic in the vicinity.

I am at a loss to understand those who say that it will contribute to the economic development of either Dun Laoghaire or Stillorgan.

It is a reasonably inaccessible road of only 1 km which brings motorists further away from both these centres than any existing access road. This will lead to frustration and anger - not economic re-development.

Our planners, councillors and the County Manager should demonstrate leadership and admit that this road is a mistake and should be declared redundant.


We should use all our influence to persuade the Dublin Transport Office that the only solution to the county's traffic congestion is to provide enhanced public transport.

Owen Keegan (County Manager) himself said when he was Traffic Manager for Dublin City that we had lost the battle with traffic congestion. I concur.

Take a trip along the M50 any hour of the day or night, any day of the week and you will see the logic of his argument.

Roads attract traffic and congestion and increase our reliance on cars.
This is the key issue which we need to address over the next decade.

I realise that this viewpoint is not supported by all.

However, after listening to all viewpoints and visiting the area over recent months, I have concluded that I must act in the interests of the greater good and support the hundreds of residents who will be severely disadvantaged if this road proceeds.

It is my honest judgement that this road is unnecessary and I will therefore be voting to support the Green Party's motion to remove the road from the County Development Plan.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again about this issue - and thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Regards

Kealin

Councillor Kealin Ireland

Green Party
Eglinton Cottage

Tivoli Road
Dun Laoghaire
Co. Dublin

01 2801 439

086 388 1535

No comments: